October MaDnESs and a "BOO" Rag Wreath!!!

As I've mentioned before-as well as the whole reason this blog was started-I LOVE holiday decorating! I get so giddy in September just knowing that the next 6 months are PACKED full of holidays to create, display, craft, cook and eat for! I really started getting into creating projects, decorating for holidays, and crafting with my kids last September-for Halloween, and wanted to do something to celebrate my year anniversary of CREATING! What better way than to dedicate my whole month of October to Halloween FuuuuN! Every day of October (mon-fri-those are my blog days :) ), will be a different Halloween craft, party idea, costume idea, yummy treats, etc that I have done. You won't want to miss my October MaDnESs so be sure to check back starting Oct. 3rd for non-stop easy, cheap, FUN DIY Halloween ideas!!!

I've also mentioned before, I feel that if you do nothing else to decorate for a holiday, you can at least make a wreath! Indoor, outdoor, bedroom door, pantry door-it doesn't matter! Just get one up and I guarantee it'll be just the thing to get you in the holiday spirit and will give a little somethin' somethin' extra to your home. So I though to officially kick off my OCTOBER MADNESS event, I'd share my first Halloween craft with you a week early so you have plenty of time to get in the spirit! I love rag wreaths, and I think the spunky, fun style is perfect for a holiday like Halloween!


To start I picked up a 15" foam wreath from Hobby Lobby, (Using a 40% off coupon it was $3) as well as a couple different halloween fabrics and some purple, orange and green tulle (I got about 1/2 yard of each fabric so I could have enough left over to do another project-coming SOON! :) )


I just cut the fabric into strips of about 1X9...


...and started tying them around the wreath frame until...


...she was full! I then went through and added strips of each color tulle all throughout (and the strips of tulle are longer than the fabric strips because I wanted them to give off a wispy look) until I was happy with whole look!


I still felt it needed a little more spunk so I picked up these cheap wood letter from H.L. (.99 for 2 letters) and painted them with a purple acrylic paint I already had. (Ignore the silver glitter paint in the picture since she ruined my letter "B" and I had to make a new one-good idea gone bad, oh well!)


I had inteded to make the purple letters appear shimmery (that was what I was trying to do with the silver glitter paint) but that turned out to be a bust so I dug through some craft stuff and found these wiggly eyes and thought they'd add the perfect touch of fun to the wreath since one of the fabrics I used had googly eyes all over it (as well as the little critters I added at the end!)


I thought adding them to the B would be a bit much, so I decided to use some of the purple and green tulle that I used on the wreath and tie it to the edge of the letter. And just because almost every project I do has a little bling :) I added these small purple jewels I had just using hot glue.


I hot glued the edges of all the letters together to create the word "BOO"!


Using a tip I found here, I hot glued a bobby pin to the back of the letter B...


...and pinned it directly onto the "rags"! SO easy and it holds it right in place!




I also picked these little guys up at H.L. (they were picks that I just took the pick part out of) and stuck them on.




And tied the whole thing onto the door with some fun $ store ribbon!




Now enjoy!


Thanks so much for coming on over today and helping me kick off OCTOBER MaDnESs! I'm SO ready for Halloween...what about you?! Are you the wreath making or the wreath buying type?

Linking up to THESE parties as well as:
The DIY Show Off
Photobucket
You have read this article with the title October MaDnESs and a "BOO" Rag Wreath!!!. You can bookmark this page URL http://loriescorner.blogspot.com/2011/09/october-madness-and-rag-wreath.html. Thanks!