Buried Alive

During these past few months, all of me, including my creative side, has felt "buried alive." By that I mean, I knew technically what I needed to do to get back down to the business of writing (open a notebook or my laptop and get to it), but practically, I was totally unable to access my creativity.

My friends and family told me I was going through a deep period of grief over the loss of a lifelong relationship that was - by no choice of my own - no longer lifelong. I knew this was true, and that at some point I'd open the lid on my self-made coffin (eerie, right?), but part of me worried I'd never see the creative light of day again.

It was suggested to me that I journal during this difficult time, but I would have rather jumped off a very tall cliff than write about the experience. I had no desire to journal or work on my book or even get out of bed in the morning. I tweeted a bit, putzed around on FB, and did my best to continue writing blog posts. I even wrote a song or two, and a set of lyrics (see last post). However, that was all the writing I could muster. I couldn't begin to get back on track with my precious YA novel I've been working so hard on since late last September.

BUT... In the last two days, I've edited the first three chapters of my book! I'm a bit wobbly, but I'm starting to get my creative sea legs back, and it feels great to be standing on sane, dry land. (Plus, you gotta love those crazy teens I write about!)

Thanks to all of you who have stood by me, encouraged me, cried with me, loved me, and had faith that I would eventually get through this most difficult time in my life. It is because of you that I am able to see the slim rays of light again; because of you that I will make a full recovery and kick that stupid coffin to the curb.

What do you do when you get into a creative funk? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
You have read this article buried alive with the title Buried Alive. You can bookmark this page URL http://loriescorner.blogspot.com/2010/09/buried-alive.html. Thanks!