Getting Revenge: Voodoo Doll vs Writing

One of the greatest joys of becoming a better writer is helping others along their path. I recently received a request to assist someone with her query and synopsis. She knows I'm deep into editing my novel THE SECRET KEEPER, but felt she could benefit from my expertise. (Hah!)

What I realized while looking at her work is how far I've come in such a short time. In November of last year, I received my first and only request for a partial for LITTLE PEARLS. It was my first book, consisting of a series of quasi-autobiographical vignettes loosely linked together to form a "novel." I worked on it off and on for over 13 years. What was the result of my one and only partial request? A much-deserved rejection. It was terse, something along the lines of, "I was very disappointed in these pages. They were nothing like I hoped they'd be." OUCH!!! (That's how I remember it. I threw the actual rejection away. I don't like having negative juju around.)

Did I consider getting a Voodoo doll with name of said agent that I could mercilessly stick with sharp pins? No! Okay, well maybe for a few, glorious, self-indulgent moments. But ultimately I decided to get even another way: I kept writing.

In the past year, I wrote three and a half novels. (I still hope to turn that 1/2 into a whole one of these days!) The requests for partials and fulls increased with each project, until I landed the most awesome agent in the history of the universe. (My mom always said I was a drama queen. To this day, I don't know what she means.) I'm working hard with my agent (SQUEE!) to get my book ready to go on submission. That is my current and very focused goal.

No matter where you are in the process, concentrate on that. There really is a time to every purpose under heaven. When you're ready, your time will come, the doors will slide open, and your dreams will unfold.

Until then (and forever after), work your ass off!
You have read this article dreams come true / query / submission / synopsis; agents with the title Getting Revenge: Voodoo Doll vs Writing. You can bookmark this page URL http://loriescorner.blogspot.com/2009/12/getting-revenge-voodoo-doll-vs-writing.html. Thanks!